The COVID-19 pandemic has had a devastating impact on many people across the globe. One area close to home for Henrik and his family, the Henrik Lundqvist Foundation (HLF) and the Garden of Dreams Foundation (GDF) has been the heightened impact on food insecurity in NYC post the pandemic:
- It is now reported that 1 in 3 children in NYC is food insecure.
- The number of New Yorkers experiencing food insecurity has risen to nearly 1.6 million, a 44% increase compared to pre-pandemic levels and the highest rate in ten years.
- Many New Yorkers have been unemployed for over a year due to the pandemic.
- New York City’s average cost per meal is 26% higher than the national average.
This all means many parents are struggling to put food on the table to feed their children. Henrik, together with HLF and GDF, want to provide aid in this area and are proud to announce:
Together we will donate a total of $100,000 to 4 separate organizations to support food insecure children and their families in New York City in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Food Bank For New York City – support Campus Pantry Program
- The Urban Outreach Center – Mobile Pantry Program
- Children’s Aid – support Food Box Program
- Harlem Dowling – support emergency food packages
Stayed tuned the coming months for updates on our working progress to support this critical issue affecting so many of our fellow New Yorkers.